Stand strong for free speech

I understand there is talk about cancelling Miko Peled's presentation scheduled for Tuesday night. This is because there are allegations that MIko or what he speaks and writes about is anti-Semetic. I am a Jewish veteran of the US Army. I experienced anti-Semitism in the army and when I was a child in Queens, NY. I know what anti-Semitism is.

I also know MIko Peled personally. I have travelled with him in Israel and Palestine. He is from a prominent Jewish Israeli family. The idea that he is anti-Semitic or professes anything anti-Semitic is nonsense and is used to silence criticism of Israel.

There are many Jewish people including myself who find much to criticise about Israel. Many of my close friends are IDF veterans, like Miko, and they find plenty to criticise about Israel. This attempt to have Miko's talk cancelled has nothing to do with anti-Semitism. It has to do with shutting down free speech and free speech that needs very much to be heard. Now more than ever.

I hope the Bethlehem Public Library will stand strong for free speech. Thank you.