Three Cheers for Ben & Jerry's

 8/4/2021 Letters to the editor (8/4/21) - Hudson Valley One

Ben & Jerry’s decision to stop selling its ice cream in the Occupied Palestinian Territories was courageous and definitely not anti-Zionist. I am an American Jew who supports Israel’s right of existence and ability to flour- ish. However, I do not support its apartheid actions. I do not hate Israel and I am definitely not an anti-Semite. But I do hate its human rights abuses, especially against children and the people of Gaza.

Fifteen years ago, I did human rights work in the West Bank/occupied Palestinian territories with In- ternational Women’s Peace Service and was shocked to see how many apartheid rules are in place. Today re- strictions and abuse are even more rampant. Let’s hope that other companies will follow Ben & Jerry’s coura- geous example.

Paula Silbey