I support Ben and Jerry’s

The fracas over the pullout from Israeli settlements in the West Bank by Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is still on my mind, as I find myself enjoying Tom and Jerry’s ‘Chocolate Therapy’ ice cream. As I lick my spoon, I, however, find it difficult to comprehend why the loss of commercial ice cream should be such a big deal.  Isn’t it fun to make homemade ice cream?  And wouldn’t that be a great activity for the children in the settlements?!  Forget brands!  Make your own. I’m going to heed my very words and make ice cream with my grandchildren!  

Meanwhile, I find it difficult to comprehend why the pullout of ice cream should constitute such a terrible offense compared to the pulling up of 1000 year- old olive trees in the occupied West Bank to make room for those settlements, for privileged roads for those settlers to and from their settlements on stolen land.  More than 100,000 Palestinian olive trees had been uprooted by Israeli authorities and settlers since 1967.  Palestinian farmers and their families along with international friends who help safeguard the olive-pickers have been violently threatened and harmed by settlers. Why do they do this?  Olive oil constitutes a major source of vital nourishing food – so I would like to see those who criticize the pullout of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream from the Israeli settlements also strongly criticize the pulling- up of the olive trees that Palestinians have always depended on for their health and essential well-being!   I think it takes years for a newly-planted olive tree to bear fruit (and only a few hours to make homemade ice cream) and so I’ll never be able to share with my grandchildren and carry on that age-old tradition – that vital link with the earth – of indigenous people. Pity!  That’s a real loss to shout out about!  I support Ben and Jerry’s action!  


Jane Toby